1992, State of Oregon
1993, U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
1993, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
1999, Supreme Court of the United States
Grinnell College, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa.
Northwestern School of Law, Lewis and Clark College, J.D., magna cum laude.
Mr. Hunt started with the firm in 1992. A partner since 1997, he represents employees in wrongful discharge claims and all types of discrimination, harassment, retaliation and whistleblowing actions as well as claims for unpaid wages.
In 1999 he argued Albertson’s v. Kirkingburg, a seminal disability discrimination case, before the United States Supreme Court. Since then his primary focus has been on disability law. He has also argued before the Washington Supreme Court, the Oregon Court of Appeals, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. His practice ranges from negotiating separation agreements for present employees, through all phases of state and federal trial litigation, to appellate work at all levels of the state and federal courts.
Mr. Hunt was recently honored with membership in the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He was the only attorney in Oregon to receive the distinction in 2014, and is one of only two Oregon fellows to practice exclusively in the area of plaintiff's employment law. Mr. Hunt has been listed in The Best Lawyers In America for Labor and Employment Law since 2007, and he was honored as the Lawyer of the Year for Employment Law in 2016. He has been selected by peers for inclusion in Oregon Super Lawyers each year since the publication's founding in 2006. During that time, Mr. Hunt has been voted into the Top 50 lawyers in the state, in any category, seven times.
Martindale-Hubbell has awarded him an "AV" rating, its highest for legal ability and ethics.
- Albertson's, Inc. v. Kirkingburg, 527 U.S. 555 (1999)
- Affolter v. Baugh Construction Oregon, Inc., 183 Or App 198, 51 P3d 642 (2002)
- Lansford v. Georgetown Manor, Inc., 192 Or App 261, 84 P3d 1105, adh'd to as modified, 193 Or App 59, 88 P3d 305, rev den 337 Or 182 (2004)
- Head v. Glacier Northwest, Inc., 413 F.3d 1053 (9th Cir. 2005)
- Meade v. Cedarapids, Inc., 164 F.3d 1218 (9th Cir. 1999)
- Johnsen v. Mel-Ken Motors, Inc., 134 Or. App. 81, 894 P.2d 540 (1995)
- Schoen v. Freightliner LLC, 224 Or. App. 613; 199 P.3d 332 (2008)